Open DMP File
Files with the DMP extension are core dump files, and thus are associated with Microsoft Windows-based operating systems.
The DMP file records information about errors or bugs that can cause your computer to suddenly stop working, freeze, or slow down.
Starting with Windows 2000 and later, a DMP file is created every time the computer fails.
DMP files are stored in a special folder on your hard drive, which is usually hidden for security reasons.
DMP files are not cumulative like logs, therefore each DMP file has a different unique name so it is never overwritten.
If there are multiple DMP files created on the same day, each file includes a serial number in its name, indicating the order of their creation.
What does a DMP file contain?
DMP files store different types of data about the errors you find. They store a list of the drivers loaded on the computer, the context in which the computer's processor stopped working, as well as the description of the process that stopped the computer.
For debugging, the file also contains the stack of kernel mode calls associated with the stop.
Can DMP files be created?
Yes, this could be helpful in troubleshooting systems. To generate a DMP file, press the 'Ctrl' key on your keyboard while pressing the 'Scroll Lock' key twice.
You will see an error screen titled 'Stop' and a message stating that it has induced a 'crashdump'. You can then open the DMP file in a Windows debugger tool to fix the problem.
Open DMP File on Windows Operating System
- Find a DMP file in question in Windows OS File Explorer and double click on it to launch the correpsonding application.
- If a DMP file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the file in question.
- If you know the application which can open DMP file then run it and see if there is a File->Open main menu option in the application.
- If you don't know the application which can open DMP file then try to search for "DMP wiki", "application to open DMP file" or "open DMP file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open DMP file
Rate DMP file page: 4/5 based on 12 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open DMP files, file extension dmp and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...